4-wheeler Ownership Transfer in Bangalore, Karnatka

Hello everybody,

Recently, I got opportunity to interact with Regional Transport Office (RTO) for my car’s ownership transfer. My friends suggested to take help of an agent and get it done but I wasn’t in mood to pay kickbacks, hence I chose to do it my self. I faced bit of difficulty but I overpowered it with patience and persistence. The purpose of writing this blog is to ensure that others are benefitted out of my experience and eventually avoid paying any kickbacks  or bribe to the agents.

In my case, my vehicle was registered under Kormangala, RTO and I’ve to get it registered in Indiranagar RTO.  The ownership transfer process is listed below:

At original RTO, Kormangala:

  1. Get Clearance Certificate and Hypothecation (If the vehicle is on Loan) Cancelled from original RTO. In my case it was Koramangala. You need to produce the following documents.
    1. NOC letter issued from the owner.
    2. Form No. 35 in duplicate(hypothecation cancellation)
    3. Original RC Book.
    4. Self Addressed Clothed Envelope with 12 rs. ticket affixed on it for Local Speed Post. http://www.indiapost.gov.in/netscape/speedpost.html
  2. Next take all the documents to a verifier clerk in office and get it verified. Once verified you have to pay a fee of 100 rs for hypothecation cancellation and attach the chalan with the form. Finally you submit the application.
  3. After 1 week, you will receive the clearance certificate along with your RC book modified.
  4. Next you have to contact the new RTO office where the vehicle has to be registered.

At New RTO, IndiraNagar:

  1. Have following documents ready before you reach to RTO office.
      1. Form no CMV 29 in duplicate.
      2. Form no. CMV 30. If vehicle is covered under Hypothecation/HPA/Lease.
      3. Consent of financier. Original
      4. Registration Certificate(RC) Book. Original.
      5. Valid insurance. Photocopy
      6. Emission Certificate. Photocopy
      7. Address proof ( Ration Card, Voter ID). If you don’t have either of these, get an affidavit for address proof. You’ll find public notary in RTO premise who would endorse your affidavit at a nominal fee.
      8. PAN card . If there is no PAN number form no 61 in case of agriculturists and form no. 60 in case of others.
      9. Clearance Certificate issued by previous registering authority. Original
      10. Two passport size photographs of the transferee.
      11. Self Addressed Clothed Envelope with 12 rs. ticket affixed on it for Local Speed Post.
  2. Next take all the documents to a verifier clerk in office and get it verified. After documents are verified the clerk will redirect you to the next counter where you have to raise the Chalan.
  3. Go to next counter and have chalan raised by entering the details of your RC book in the system.
  4. Got to bill payment counter and pay the amount and obtain the chalan.
  5. Now submit all the documents along with the chalan to verifier clerk once again. Once verifier is done with the verification, he/she will redirect you to form submission counter. You submit all the forms and document and obtain an acknowldegement receipt.  After 1 week, you should receive RC book/Smart card with your name and address in it.


How to Register a vehicle

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to 4-wheeler Ownership Transfer in Bangalore, Karnatka

  1. TJ says:

    Applying for hypothecation termination/cancellation and CC Clearance Certificate was pretty straight forward at Koramangla RTO

  2. goutam majumder says:

    Thanks a lot Niraj, this article is of great help to me and i believe other fellow Bangaloreans. Happy days.

  3. sunny raj gupta says:

    Hello Sir,
    Thanks for such a wonderful article. But kindly tell us How much is the government authorized fees for the same. (Got to bill payment counter and pay the amount and obtain the chalan). how much do we need to pay at bill payment counter??????????

  4. Kumaran.N says:

    Niraj, Neatly written, detailed information…i liked it..originally i thought of going through an agent..now might do it myself..thanks..

    • jp amaranath says:

      In fact this was what I was looking for when I wanted to browse. Information provided is very excellent. Perhaps, this kind of informatin should have been be posted on the web site by the Department in clear terms like how you have done. Thank you for your social service. May God bless you.

  5. Pat says:

    thank you for the valuable info. i was going to be made a fool by some agents.

  6. Pat says:

    Niraj, what is Consent of financier, that u’ve mentioned, is that the case where i take the vehicle on loan?

  7. Sid says:

    Hi Niraj

    Thanks for the info. I’ve a similar case … is it safe to put my original RC/smart-card in the envelope and hand it over to the RTO guys ? And do they really send back the NoC/CC in 8-10 days.


  8. Thanks Sir Very use full information, by reading this this article one could stop giving kickback to agent.

  9. ramesh says:

    thanks for a detailed blog about the procedure.. i got mine transferred recently from Indiranagar to KR puram. did it myself thanks to the info you have provided here. ramesh

  10. BS NARAHARI says:

    Yesterday ( 18/01/2012) Even I too Submitted the following documents at Jnanabharthi RTO , Bangalore to obtain Clearance certificate for the used CAR for ownership Transfer
    1) Original RC book of the Owner ( Transferor )
    2) NOC for clearance certificate duly signed by the seller( Transferor) of the vehicle
    3) Buyer self addressed envelop with Rs12 stamp
    4) Valid Xerox copy of Insurance & Emission Test certificate
    An acknowledgement has been received, & hoping to get the CC & RCC book delivered soon through postal service to my address as mentioned in Envelop

  11. Anees says:

    Thanks for the inspiration Niraj! I went to Koramangala RTO today and submitted the documents without any trouble. The guys over there were supportive. With all the documents, also carry an envelope (go to one of those stationary shops on the ground floor and ask for RC Post Cover :-)), a file (RTO File as called by the shop guys). If the RC is a smart card, put it in a transparrent cover and staple all the documents including the fee paid receipt.

  12. Santhosh says:

    Hi Niraj,

    Thanks a lot for posting this information. With the help of this info I was able to get the Transfer of Ownership done for the used car I’ve bough 3 weeks ago. It costed me Rs.105 for the transfer and Rs.200 for the smart card. In total the amount I paid to RTO is Rs.305 and that is it.

  13. Narendra says:

    Hi Niraj ,
    Thanks for given all the deatils !!
    I have once quest : I want to bring the my brother car to bangalore ,Car is name with my brother name , I want to transfer with my name ,so could you tell me is it also I have to pay the road tax ??

  14. Neenu says:

    Hi Niraj,
    Thanks for the info. I have a question. I want to transfer the car ownership to my husband’s name.The car loan is in my name. So do I need to pre-close the loan to change the ownership?
    And is there any change in procedure for transferring the ownership to spouse name?

  15. chaman says:

    what is the size of envelope needed?

  16. Arun Bhat says:

    Hi NIraj,
    Thank you so much for your wonderful artical, could you please let me know how much it will cost to change the name on RC book….becouse in jayanagr agent asking me to pay 3000 buks to change name for ma second hand car…could you please advise..

  17. Prabha says:

    Thanks Niraj

  18. Vishal says:

    I went to Electronic City RTO on the Hosa Road (Sigasandra) on 25/05/2012. I found that a few things were different. You need 4 photographs (If you don’t have, just go to neighbouring building and get instant photos: 8 copies Rs 80) and stamps of Rs 25. Put the stamp on a small size self addressed envelope. It is normally good to purchase a file with a filing string which you get for Rs 5 outside in the neigbouring xerox shops. (The car I purchased had no loan and was from the same RTO, so I did not need consent of financer or clearance certificate anyway). Also take photocopy of RC book as the receipt is given on RC book photocopy instead of From29 copy (I guess this is subjective). BTW, the list of documents is clearly given on the boards inside the RTO.

    With all the forms filled, go directly to superintendent (non transport counter, which is at the end) and she will check the papers and the database using the vehicle number and write the amount to be paid on the form. Go to the cash counter (the middle one) and give the form, get the chalaan (payment receipt) and don’t forget your form on the counter. You will get an original with a carbon copy. Attach both the copies of chalaan (you don’t get to keep one).

    Since all the documents have to be attached inside the file, make sure you take a transparent good quality plastic cover (I used the one I had on my emission check certificate). This is useful for putting in photograhs and the original RC card. This way, your final submission will be easier as photos and card will be visible outright.

    Take the file to ARTO (who is near the entrance, once you climb up). The peon outside will ask you why you want to go in, and just tell him that you need to get vehicle transfer form signed. He will direct you to the ARTO. He will sign on your form immediately.

    Take the file back to the counter near the superintendent. The lady will be busy entering information in register and giving acknowledgements and won’t be hard to identify. Otherwise, you can ask the superintendent again. You will get acknowledgement on the RC book copy. You’re done.

    Since I don’t know kannada, I was pleasantly surprised that the staff speaks crystal clear english and are very helpful. Unless you go to them with expired license or incomplete documents and then bug them, you are unlikely to face any problem.

    • vijay says:

      Thanks a lot “Vishal”, for sharing your experience. it was very helpful….

    • Nitin says:

      You did not need the clearance certificate? in case yes what was needed for doing he same for clearance certificate. It may be asking for too much, but if all the documents are complete is there a way to get the clearance certificate immediately?

    • Nitin says:

      notify me on the follow up comments

  19. Khushboo says:

    I had applied for hypothecation cancellation a month back in indiranagar rto. I followed the same procedure as mentioned but have not yet received by smart card back. Can you please tell me what can I do? The one month validity of the acknowledgment is over now. Do i have to go to the rto and collect it?


  20. Razak says:

    Thank u, good information

  21. PARAG KANERIYA says:

    Hi Niraj,
    Can you Please clarify whether it is required to transfer ownership to the RTO which come under my resident jurisdictional . In my case my 4-Wheeler register in Electronic City RTO ( under Company lease), where my resident fall under K.R. Puram RTO.

    Thanks in advance for your valuable suggestion.

  22. PARAG KANERIYA says:

    Hi Niraj,

    Can you tell me what is “Consent of financier.”. My 4 wheeler was lease to the company, after foreclosure of Lease, I got clearance certificate, form 30, 29 etc . Does Clarence Certificate is same as Consent of Financier

  23. Sam says:

    Hi Niraj,

    Recently I transfered old car on my name kormangala bangalore, I got fax of my agent about smart card with no HP/lease details. Previously car had loan and agent cancelled the hypotication, question is though the HP is cancelled, Smart card should be showing HP/lease option with blank information, is this correct? or banglore smart card do not shows the HP/lease column if hypotication is not there, asking as other states though the loan is not taken for car, in smart card there always options HP/lease with blank information. 2ndly how we could know the smart card is geniune, is there any way to tally the details?

  24. M Jayaprakash says:

    Hi Mr.Niraj,
    You’ve done a wonderful job.Thanks a lot for the usefull info.In these days middlemen make a lot money due to our negligence.RTO office people also help a lot.But we dont approach them.This is a good lesson for lazy.

  25. dinesh says:

    Hi niraj…very useful to me..

  26. DR says:

    Hi Two years back I Sold my Santro Car in Blore, they promised me that they will transfer it in their name. Recently when I visited Blore found that there were two fines (letter received from RTO)in my name. I am unabel to trace the new owner now(though the car is very much in Blore). I have the proof that I sold the car to them on a particular date and time. Pls guide.
    1. How do check if they have transferred the card in their name?
    2. How to I ensure that my name is removed as owner from the RTO site?

  27. Nitin says:

    Excellent post and very help full.

    One question you said NOC letter issues from the owner, is it free hand writing or there is government prescribed format of it?

  28. Satish says:

    Thanks a ton Niraj. Just a question though.
    I believe we need to make sure that financing company seal(Name & Address) on the form 35 matches with what is specified in your RC book.My office got shifted, these do not match. Wont the RTO accept the application in this case ?.

  29. Don says:

    at original RTO (in my case Koramangala) for Clearance Certificate, I was asked to give the copies of Insurance and Emission also along with Original RC Book and NOC form filled by the owner, this was clearly written on the board there too.
    The envelope was with Rs.25 stamp on it. I got the post on the 11th day after submission.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s